Sunday, May 23, 2010

Review - Embracing Your Second Calling


Embracing Your Second Calling - Find Passion And Purpose For The Rest of Your Life
Dale Hanson Bourke
Printed by Thomas Nelson, Inc.
Copyright 2009 Dale Hanson
ISBN 978-0-8499-4697-4

In this wonderful lesson on the book of Ruth, Bourke particularly focuses on Ruth's mother-in-law, Naomi, and the wonderful things that happen to her in the "second half of her life".

Filled with annectdotal quips and comments regarding her own life, and those of so many others, as well, Bourke brings us from the middle-age doldrums, to a new awakening of what a woman over fifty years of age can really become!

When so many woman seem to have peaked early in life, fulfilling, it seems, all of their dreams, what comes after fifty? What comes when the children leave home? What comes when they have retired from their career?

Or what comes if they have done absolutely nothing until they turn fifty?

Is it the beginning of the end? Is it the end?

Bourke brings us to an awareness of what God has in store for women who are now, literally, in their prime!

God has brought us through the small children, through the struggles to get and maintain and even excel in a career, through difficult marriages, through the pressures of being the perfect wife-mother-career person, into an age where we now have a modicum of wisdom, and can obtain all - for His glory!

I expected to find a talented writer who could shed some small insight into my life as I opened this book. Instead, I found a wake-up call! Affirmation that the career path I have chosen was correct for me. And affirmation that God isn't through working with me yet!

This should be a must read for all women over the age of fifty!

It should be read thoughtfully, even prayerfully, and let the Spirit of God touch your heart as you read this marvellous work!

I give this book my 5-star rating!

[DISCLOSURE: Thomas Nelson, Inc. provided me with a copy of this book free of charge for review.

All recommendations or opinions herein noted are my own and do not reflect this exchange.]

No comments:

Post a Comment