Sunday, April 17, 2011

The History of the Greenbrier America's Resort


The History of The Greenbrier America's Resort
By
Robert S. Conte
Copyright 1998 The Greenbrier
Published for The Greenbrier by Pictoral Histories Publishing Company, Inc.
Charleston, WV

ISBN: 0-929521-14-5

This beautifully photographed, well researched, and often entertaining book, by historian for The Greenbrier, Robert S. Conte, is insightful and well written.

From the first days of the mineral/sulphur springs in the 1700's to it's present, The Greenbrier has been one of America's premier resorts, and this well put-together book offers us a beautiful look at that history.

I originally utilized this text as part of my research for a family who shares the same name as one of the original owners of the resort. Later I went back to re-read the text purely for the entertainment and the love of the history of it.

Fascinated by The Greenbrier, my ex-father-in-law having worked there for many years, I travel past it's illustrious gates daily on my commute to work. Gaily decorated in the Christmas season, and always, always, well populated. The comings and goings are often highlighted by occasional glimpses of society's elite and those individuals of fame. One is also well used to seeing the various uniforms of those who serve the guests both in front of, and behind, the scenes.

The History of the Greenbrier America's Resort is a must read for anyone interested in the local history of Greenbrier County, West Virginia as well! One can easily see the progression of the community and the state through the progression and growth of The Greenbrier.

The iconic resort is well presented by Dr. Conte in this book.

I give this a ...
....five star rating and my....

...thumbs up award!


****DISCLOSURE: This book was a personal purchase for private research, and I was under no obligation to offer my opinion on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment