Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Mystery of Sleep by Meir Kryger, M.D.

The Mystery of Sleep
Why a Good Night's Rest Is Vital to a Better, Healthier You
by
Meir Kryger, M.D.
copyright  © 2017 by Meir Kryger, M.D.
ISBN 978-0-300-22408-5
Yale University Press

A very well written, and captivating non-fiction work on why sleep is so vital to our health, both physical and mental. Because I have a serious sleep disorder, I was totally captivated, and finished the book by, you guessed it, staying awake all night!

I lack the ability to go into REM (otherwise known as Rapid Eye Movement) sleep. This is the time when we become truly rested. The time of dreams.

For years now I have had to take a very large dose of the medication Trazadone  in order to wake up feeling refreshed. Otherwise I describe my sleep as trying to cross the English channel, by walking. I take a step (go down into sleep) and then come up for air (quite literally completely wake up, reposition, and go back down to sleep) .It took three tries of varying dosages of medication to get it right. But I can sleep now and awake refreshed the next morning.

But just what does happen when the body doesn't get the restful sleep it needs?

Dr. Kryger goes about explaining this so that even the most common of man can understand it. He explains the various kinds of inability to rest when attempting to sleep, their side effects, both now and in the long run. He explains the detriment to health both physical and mental in not obtaining rest when sleeping.

Where were you Dr. Kryger when I was younger, and needed to know these things when I was trying to raise my children? I could have saved myself the hassle of unrest and went straight to my physician for help, instead of thinking I was crazy! (LOL)

I found this book to be one of the most helpful, and insightful books I have read in quite some time. Perhaps because it deals with a personal problem of mine, I read it in one sitting. You got it, sitting up all night reading it.

I rate this book with ...


FIVE STARS
and a big...



....THUMBS UP!
I also give this my personal ...


HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AWARD!


DISCLAIMER: This book was provided by  Amazon Vine in exchange for a personal and non-biased review. It will be available on Amazon.com here on March 21, 2017, and can be pre-ordered now in both hardcover and in Kindle version. The review above is the opinion of the author only and does not reflect any other person.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment