Sunday, June 24, 2018

Magic and Medicine of Plants - Readers Digest

Magic and Medicine of Plants
Readers Digest
Copyright © 1986 Readers Digest Association, Inc.
Published by Readers Digest Association, Inc.
ISBN: 0-89577-221-3
464 Pages
Completed: 06/24/2018

It is quite rare when I complete such a book inside of 24 hours. But I haven't been feeling well, and sleep has eluded me. And I truly found this enjoyable. So, yes, I did read it within 24-hours.

The book identifies wild and cultivated medicinal and herbal plants in an array from A-Z, which helps in some ways, and yet makes you feel thrown about in others. (I think I would have preferred an index with ailments that could be helped by plant at least. But c'est la vie.) 

I did appreciate the notations at the bottom of each plants page that identified what the plant was considered useful for, and it's use today when applicable. 

Because I'm interested in herbology, I found the herbs for cooking most interesting.

I did appreciate the effort for recipes at the back of the book, there just weren't really enough to make the effort worth reading through them. I was very interested in the gardening of the plants and herbs and found the layouts most informative.

Identification of each plant is by painting. AND photograph, which I truly appreciate. In most books we are informed only by paintings of the plants and one can never be sure with a painting what creative license has been taken! A photograph helps to compare the two and ensure that you have chosen or are looking at a correct specimen.

All in all I enjoyed the read. And I do highly recommend the book if you can locate a copy.

I give FIVE STARS
 And a BIG THUMBS UP


****DISCLAIMER: This review was strictly voluntary as this book was borrowed from a friend and did not require any review.





No comments:

Post a Comment