Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lee - A Life of Virtue


Lee
by John Perry
from The Generals series
Thomas Nelson Publishing - 2010
ISBN: 978-1-59555-028-6

I have been held captive by tales of the American revolution and the Civil War since I was a child! Growing up in Norfolk, Virginia, near the heart of the birthplace of our country, visiting Jamestown, Williamsburg, Richmond, Lexington, Charlottesville, Gettysburg, Antietam, Washington, D.C., and so many other sites, as a child... surely influenced me!

Today I am a genealogist by profession, and as such, I am drawn to the histories of great families for my reading pleasure.

What a great read this was, following my last biography on Robert E. Lee!

Perry covers the "General" as few others did. While skipping over the details of an illustrious military career, yet still bringing mention, and to give the reader a verifiable timeline to establish a time frame, Perry gives one a glimpse into the life, emotions, loves, and faith of this great American icon.

One is given insight to the thoughts and worries that plagued this great man who was torn between love of country, love of state, and love of family.

I cannot recommend this read enough, and give it my thumbs up award


***Disclosure: A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment