Sunday, February 12, 2017

10 Things I Can See From Here by Carrie Mac

10 Things I Can See From Here
by Carrie Mac
IMPRINT: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: February 28, 2017
ISBN: 978-0-399-55625-8
320 pages
Randon House Children's Books Publicity, Penguin RandomHouse

To say this book was not what I expected, is far beyond what I read.

I expected this to be a book suitable for children 14 and up. And perhaps in the nasty, sexual society we have come to call norm, it is.

Don't get me wrong. The author is fantastic! And spun a golden story that could leave you breathless! And given half a chance, most tween's or teens would find themselves lost in the imagery nthe writer is capable of!

However, what was not made known in the preview I read of the book, is that it deals with homosexualism coming of age.

As a Christian, I cannot find the book worth the paper it is printed on! I was compelled to put the book down in several areas, and ask the Lord to guide me to the next area that was worthy of my reading.

I believe the author is extremely talented. Her gift is very much akin to such great writers as Louisa Mae Alcott, as she wrote Little Women. Or even that of J.K. Rowling as she wrote the Harry Potter series. That's how great this author is, which is why I kept going back, and asking God for the review that was deserved, and not simply scathing because I do not see eye to eye with the author on homosexuals.

Believe me when I say that I love the homosexuals. Just as I love the drunkards and the thieves. God demands our love for people, all people. It does not mean that we have to condone their behavior. But through our love, help them to see His way, and how He can become all things to them.

I don't want to get into a religious debate regarding this book, which does not endorse any behavior. Instead, it is a coming of age book. The story is beautifully written. And just as beautifully told. Would I feel different if the two people were not homosexuals? I probably would. So, as a person who writes previews, let me take that out of the equation and be very fair.

The author is so talented, I can see her becoming the next great writer of our time, if handled by the right firm. Her work is exquisite. The story line is not only believable, but she takes you there. You find yourself in each and every seen.

At the very end, the main character has truly found herself, and is on her way to being the adult she was, perhaps, meant to be. The description of the bioluminescent ocean water is spot on! It does remind you of fairies dancing in the sky, only just beneath the waters edge! And swimming at night with it, is life changing! It really is!

Although I would not want my 14 year old to read this book, I still feel in fairness that I must give this writer Five Stars,
I also give it a big Thumbs Up.

I cannot however recommend it for those 14 and older, and Penguin Random House has done. For mature readers only.

Perhaps I am too old fashioned. But our children learn way too early about sex today. And let's throw in what it means to be gay, and accepted, or not. And why some people hate them for it. Well, it's a bit much. I know we can't keep them from learning about it. But I won't be party to putting this kind of material in their hands either. Let me keep them innocent for as long as I can. There's plenty of time for them to learn alternative lifestyles in just a few years.

I would not add this to my church library. And therefore I wouldn't add it to my home library.





DISCLAIMER: This book was provided by Amazon Vine in exchange for a fair and impartial review. The above opinions are solely those of this blog's author.

No comments:

Post a Comment